Monday 30 January 2012

A quilt - finally

Finally, I have finished a quilt! It's been so long (too long). But that's just life. This is a special quilt, and had its origins from this book that Juni gave me in January 2010 for a "significant" birthday.









So, I figured I would take the inspiration. No plan, just meandered my way through it. Bought fabric that I liked, chose blocks that gave me some variety. Some hand piecing, some machined. Slowly accumulated blocks - how were they going to come together? The border fabric did it, along with its reverse as some blocks. Thanks to the gorgeous Japanese shop in Melbourne (thanks Heather).






A bit of off-centre placement, a splash of red, and it was ready.






Add both walking foot and free motion quilting, and a backing fabric which actually worked really well.







And the best bit of all, the finished product was given to Juni, from where the inspiration started. She has been a valued member of our team for nearly 4 years. I now wish her well on the next adventure that she embarks on. First, reuniting with family in Indonesia, a holiday in Vietnam, a grand tour of Europe, then hopefully passing that rotten IELTS test ( a con) to be able to be a part of Australian society if that is what she chooses. Good luck Juni, it has been a delight making this for you, hope you enjoy it. x










No comments:

Post a Comment